The elixir of blood
- Manchurian tea
- Russian tea
- Kargasok tea
- Fungus japonicas
- Sponge tea
- Tea fungus
- Kombucha Mushroom Tea
This fermented tea is known to increase longevity and if taken regularly can reverse aging. It is an elixir for a long and healthy life. It has been used for centuries. People lived into their 100’s in Tibet, and it was never to be sold, only to passed on as a gift, otherwise, you would be doomed to a life of ill-fate! The Chinese called it hongchajun or the “Immortal Health Elixir”. Russian scientists found that where people were immune to cancer, it was down to the fact, that the people from these areas, all drank kombucha. They called it tea kvass. And the Japanese called it mocha kinoko.
I had to write a blog on this ancient healing elixir brew because I love to make plenty of it. I love the taste and the effect it has on my body. It is often referred to as a mushroom, but actually, it’s not even a mushroom. Remember to leave mush-room in your tummy!! for this delicious, fizzy exotic, tonguetastic experience.
It is also made from a few simple and affordable ingredients:-
- Organic tea bags (unbleached), or loose tea e.g. green tea – contains many antioxidants or a simple good quality black tea, or white tea – contains 10 times more antioxidant power than vit E and polyphenols and catechins.
You can mix the teas. But one of my favorites is: the magical jing, adaptogenic Gynostemma loose herbs, made into a tea – see the benefits of this tea
This is caffeine free too!. You can use other plants too of your choice without the caffeine.
- Organic natural unrefined sugar; or wild raw honey; or organic coconut nectar; or natural organic Maple syrup
- Distilled water, but NOT tap water
- Mother (named so, because of its ability to reproduce), or Scoby ( this is the actual kombucha culture) Buy online or get one from a kind kombucha brewer friend
- Wooden spoon; never use any metals when making this tea
- Ceramic pot (aluminum and stainless steel free)
- Sterile, or extremely clean glass brewing jars up to 2-5 liters. Ceramic jars can leach out the lead when brewing kombucha
- Clean and unbleached cotton or cloth to cover the tops of the brewing jars
- Glass bottles to store your kombucha in. Used water bottles are ideal
- Make sure your hands are clean from detergent soaps etc. The Scoby will be contaminated easily with harmful toxins and dirty bacteria
- IntentION with lots of love! See Dr. Emoto and his research on water
It is so easy to make at home, and it can be fun so you can introduce it to your children too. The taste can be made to suit your own taste buds, making different flavors, and introducing different strengths too. Some people like the kombucha more vinegary, and some people like it sweeter.
Some commercial Kombucha teas contain too much sugar. So when purchasing kombucha check the ingredients and stick to naturally flavored ones. Too much sugar defeats the health benefits of this elixir.
The kombucha culture or Scoby ( Symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeasts) looks like and feels like a live jellyfish as it has blood
type -vessels running through it and it is ALIVE. It usually takes on the shape of the container and varies in thickness depending on the age of it and the acidity of the brew. It is classified as a zoogleal mat.
Kombucha cultures regenerate every time they are used to brew. So each time you brew a new batch of kombucha the mother produces a baby, another Scoby. This can be stored in a glass container with some leftover kombucha brew in the fridge. The colour can vary too depending on what type of tea is used.
The Scoby is a living complex and a probiotic of bursting with life energy.
Kombucha is uniquely fermented simultaneously with yeasts and bacteria and in a aerobic (with oxygen) ferment.
It is also known to contain the following nutrients :-
- Organic acids such as the famous kombucha #glucuronic acid
- Active #enzymes
- Amino acids
- Polyphenols which are produced by the microbes
- Some B- vitamins
- Trace amounts of alcohol
The yeast part of the kombucha contains:
- #Saccharomyces cerevisiae which stimulates the body’s immune system. Contains #Berkeley Bodies which are involved in particular secretory pathways. Antibodies against Sac cerevisiae are found in 60-70% of people with Crohn’s disease and @ 15% of people with ulcerative colitis.
- #Saccharomyces boulardi is a probiotic. This helps to maintain and restore the natural flora of the gut. See below about gut flora and formation of blood cells . It is also found in Mangosteen and lychee fruit. It is also #anti-inflammatory and has antimicrobial effects. It also induces the secretion of immunoglobulin A (IgA) in the small intestine. #IgA provides protection against invading microbes in the gut and lungs. This probiotic helps other probiotics to attach to the gut. And helps to reduce certain diarrhea bacterial infections such as Clostridium difficult
- Brettanomyces bruxellensis produces acetic acid
- Candida stellata
- Schizosaccharomyces pombe
- Torulaspora delbrueckii
- Zygosaccharomyces Bali
- Saccharomycodes ludwigii & apiculatus
- Zygosaccharomyces kombuchaensis. This is a recent finding on the research of kombucha
The bacterial component of a kombucha culture usually consists of:
- Gluconacetobacter xylinus (formerly Acetobacter xylinum), which ferments the alcohols produced by the yeast(s) into acetic acid
- Gluconacetobacter kambuchae produces acetic acid, gluconic acid and the scoby
- G. xylinum is responsible for most or all of the physical structure of a kombucha scoby
- Bacterium gluconicum
- Acetobacter produces #acetic acid and gluconic acid
The bacteria and yeasts in kombucha may also produce antimicrobial defence molecules.
So over-simplified, the yeasts cleave the sugar into glucose and fructose. The yeasts produce alcohol from the glucose which the bacteria than convert to acetic acid. Both the yeast and the bacteria compete for the glucose which the bacteria convert to gluconic acid.
Kombucha may also contain some of the following:
- Acetoacetic acid
- Benzoic acid
- Propenyl ester
- Butonic acid
- Caffeine – can be caffeine free
- Citric acid
- Cyanocobalamin (B12)
- Decanoic acid
- Ethyl Acetate
- d-Gluconic acid – breaks down to capyrlic acid which is antibacterial
- hexanoic acid
- Itaconic acid
- 2- keto-gluconic acid
- 5-keto-gluconic acid
- lactic acid – blood borne inhibitor and helps to keep fungus , moulds under control
- Niacin amide
- nicotinic acid (B3)
- Pantothenic acid (B5)
- pyridoxine (B6)
- phenethyl alcohol
- 6-phospho gluconate
- Propionic acid
- Butyric acid – protects human cell membranes and when combined with Gluconic acid strengthens the walls of the gut in order to help heal leaky guts
- Malic acid – helps the liver detoxify
- Octanoic acid
- Glucuronic acid – a powerful detoxifier of the liver particularly helping to eliminate phenols which have built up from residues from plastics and pesticides etc
- Oxalic acid- encourages intercellular production of energy
- d-Saccharic acid (Glurcaric acid)
- Succinic acid
- Usnic acid – antibiotic qualities & partially antiviral
- Plus 40 other esters in trace amounts
Here are some of the health benefits of this elixir:–
- Balances the metabolism
- Cleanses the blood. Blood in Chinese medicine is seen as a moving force and a bridge to human consciousness . In Chinese Medicine, blood is a life giving substance circulating through out the body. It is also seen as a force with sensitivities to the influence of Chi.
Blood nourishes our very being, and is very much dependent on the chi from our food; the air we breath; our actions and our thoughts . Our chi which will affect the BLOOD. It helps us to connect cell to cell. And to another living being. Chi is considered to be the commander of Blood. Blood is the mother of Chi (mother = the wisdom of choosing what is good for us). Abd-ru-shin speaks of blood: In the Light of Truth: ‘Blood is meant to form the bridge for the activity of the spirit on earth‘
- Regulates pH of tissue cells. #Acidification coagulates the blood, causing #rouleaux formation, and therefore, reducing the electric life-force or chi
- Improves liver and gallbladder function. Therefore reducing stress on the pancreas. Helping to improve the digestive function, esp. with all the probiotics
- Detoxifies the body. and enhances the immune system. Therefore prevents cancers(esp. with the glucuronic acid)
- Raises overall energy levels, due to the many factors mentioned. Especially the presence of enzymes too
- Increases the gut flora, especially bifidobacteria. This bacteria, also greatly enhances the health of the liver cells, fat metabolism, and bactericides. It is a probiotic.
- The small intestine is where blood cells are created. So the health of the small intestine, will have a direct affect on your integrity of the blood too.
In Chinese medicine, the energy of the small intestine, is also referred to as the Shen energy
- It is an adaptogen
- It is an antioxidant
Because most people are deficient in gut flora these days, and suffer from an over acidic body, it is wise to start off with a small glass of Kombucha tea daily. Gradually increase the amount over a period of time, and tune in to how your body responds. Usually, it has some amazing positive effects, almost immediately. One thing is you will notice, for sure, is that you will pee much more! As it is a diuretic, helping to reduce any water retention in the body. You may also notice an increase in energy.
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written – Buddha
Try it and see for yourself.
It is a tonic and a therapy in itself.
AND IT IS ADDICTIVE, you may become a kombucha-olic!
Health is Wealth
Love and Gratitude
Love Your Liver Feel ALive Ebook and softback is available on Amazon if you wish to read and learn more about your health and detoxing the liver